Spinal cord injuries can happen to anyone at any time. Often experienced in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and other traumatic accidents, spinal cord injuries can be horrific, not just physically, but financially and mentally as well.
Spinal cord injuries are also some of the biggest and most complicated injury cases there are, which is why you need a lawyer you can trust. Our Ontario spinal cord injury attorneys are here to help you file your claim, gain compensation, negotiate with insurance companies, and even go to court if you have to.
Ontario Spinal Cord Injury Guide
- Why Choose Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers in Ontario, CA?
- Spinal Cord Injury Compensation in Ontario, CA
- Where Do Spinal Cord Injuries Occur in Ontario?
- Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries in Ontario
- How a Spinal Cord Injury Affects Your Health
- How Long Do You Have to File a Spinal Cord Injury Accident Claim in California?
- Is a Spinal Fusion Lawsuit Considered a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit?
- Fighting the Insurance Company: What You Need to Know
- What to Do After a Spinal Cord Injury Accident in Ontario
- Consult an Ontario Spinal Cord Injury Accident Lawyer Today
Why Choose Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers in Ontario, CA?
For over 20 years, Banderas Law has been dedicated to providing exceptional legal services in California.
Our fully bilingual law firm has a proven track record of success in personal injury and workers’ compensation cases, so you can trust that your case is in the hands of seasoned professionals who understand the legal side of your situation. We’ll handle the legal battle, allowing you to focus on healing and rebuilding your life.
Our dedicated team will investigate every detail of your accident. We’ll collect all the evidence needed to establish fault and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Dealing with insurance companies? We’ll handle all the negotiations to make sure you get a fair settlement that covers all your damages. And if it comes down to it, we’re not afraid to fight for your justice in court.
We’re conveniently located near Foothill Boulevard, just off I-10, so accessing our Law Firm is a breeze. Choose Banderas Law for experienced personal injury lawyers in Ontario, CA who provide personal attention and work on a no win, no fee basis. Let’s chat about your legal options and get you the justice you deserve.
Spinal Cord Injury Compensation in Ontario, CA
Following a spinal cord injury caused by another’s negligence, taking on the legal side of things, like compensation for instance, can seem overwhelming. Below will give you a general idea of the compensation you may deserve.
Types of Compensation Available
- Economic Damages:
- Medical Bills: Past, present, and future costs of all medical care related to your injury, including hospital stays, surgeries, therapy, medications, and ongoing treatment.
- Lost Wages: Reimbursement for income lost due to your spinal cord injury and inability to work, including future earning potential if your injury hinders you from returning to your previous job.
- Rehabilitation Costs: Coverage for equipment, therapy programs, and any necessary modifications to your home or vehicle to accommodate your new needs.
- Non-Economic Damages:
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional pain you experience due to your injury.
- Emotional Distress: Acknowledgment and compensation for the emotional trauma, anxiety, and depression you may face.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Reimbursement for the activities and experiences you can no longer participate in due to your injury.
- Personal Injury Claim: Filing a personal injury claim against the negligent party or their insurance company involves gathering evidence, such as medical records, accident reports, and witness statements, to demonstrate the other party’s liability for your injury.
- Negotiation and Potential Litigation: Working with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. If a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer can represent you in court to pursue full compensation through a lawsuit.
Where Do Spinal Cord Injuries Occur in Ontario?
Spinal cord injuries may occur most in situations like:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, motor vehicle accidents and serious falls are the leading causes of spinal cord injuries. A personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process after a motor vehicle accident.
- Falls: If your spinal cord injury is a result of a fall, a lawyer can assess the circumstances to determine if there’s any negligence involved. They may help you file a premises liability claim if the fall occurred on someone else’s property.
- Sports-Related Incidents: In cases of sports-related injuries, a lawyer could explore liability issues, especially if the injury resulted from inadequate safety measures, defective equipment, or negligence on the part of another party.
- Acts of Violence: If your spinal cord injury is a result of an intentional act of violence, a personal injury lawyer can help you pursue legal action against the perpetrator.
- Recreational Activities: In situations where the injury occurs during recreational activities, a lawyer can assess whether there’s any liability on the part of organizers or other parties. They can help you explore avenues for compensation.
In all these situations, hiring a personal injury attorney is very important. At Banderas Law, we can evaluate the specifics of your case, advise you on the legal options available, and advocate on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation for your spinal cord injury.
Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries in Ontario
Spinal cord injuries are serious and life-altering, with consequences varying depending on the location and severity of the injury.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries:
- Cervical: Upper spine – paralysis of arms, hands, legs, and respiratory function.
- Thoracic: Mid-back – paralysis of legs, loss of sensation and control in lower body.
- Lumbar: Lower back – loss of bowel and bladder control, impaired leg mobility.
- Sacral: Tailbone – bowel and bladder dysfunction, sexual dysfunction.
- Coccygeal: Tailbone – chronic pain and discomfort.
Each type of spinal cord injury can have specific impacts on mobility, sensation, and bodily functions, so it’s important to speak with us at Banderas Law to understand your rights and options for compensation in Ontario, CA.
How a Spinal Cord Injury Affects Your Health
When your spinal cord takes a hit, it can harm the nerve fibers responsible for transmitting signals from your brain to the rest of your body. In cases of severe injury, the spinal nerves below the affected area may still receive signals but won’t be able to send any back, leading to numbness.
Spinal cord injuries consequences can be long-lasting and include:
- Permanent loss of sensation and strength
- Persistent challenges in breathing
- Loss of control over bowel or bladder
- Diminished sensation in the chest, arms, or legs
- Impaired movement or strength below the injury site
- Decline in sexual function
- Muscle weakness or total loss of function
- Nerve damage causing consistent burning pain
- Spasms or exaggerated reflexes
How Long Do You Have to File a Spinal Cord Injury Accident Claim in California?
In California, the time limit for filing a spinal cord injury accident claim is governed by the statute of limitations.
For personal injury claims, including spinal cord injuries, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident. This time limit is important, as failing to file a claim within this period may result in the forfeiture of the right to seek compensation.
Given the complexity of spinal cord injury cases, hire an experienced spinal cord injury attorney attorney.
An attorney can navigate the legal complexities and counter insurance company tactics to seek the fair compensation you deserve. On top of that, understanding the process for claiming compensation and the rule of pure comparative negligence is essential for anyone pursuing a spinal cord injury claim in California.
Is a Spinal Fusion Lawsuit Considered a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit?
No, a spinal fusion lawsuit and a spinal cord lawsuit are not the same thing.
A spinal fusion lawsuit usually involves a surgical procedure where two or more vertebrae are fused to stabilize the spine. It can arise if a patient deals with complications related to the surgery, such as nerve damage, infection, or improper placement of medical hardware.
A spinal cord lawsuit typically includes a legal claim related to an injury or damage to the spinal cord caused outside of a medical setting. This type of lawsuit should be filed if the victim suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s negligence, such as a workplace accident or car accident.
To put it another way, a spinal fusion lawsuit is related to a surgical procedure, while a spinal cord lawsuit is related to an injury to the spinal cord.
Fighting the Insurance Company: What You Need to Know
Facing a spinal cord injury and its consequences is already overwhelming. Taking on the legal system while battling for fair compensation from the insurance company adds another layer of stress.
This is where Banderas Law can help:
Your Attorney’s Role:
- Guide you through the legal process: Our attorneys understand the law and the specific challenges of spinal cord injury cases. They’ll guide you through each step, ensuring you meet deadlines and follow proper procedures.
- Present evidence: Medical records, police reports, witness statements, and other forms of evidence are crucial to strengthening your claim. Your attorney will gather and organize this evidence to effectively illustrate the full extent of your injury and its impact.
- Negotiate with the insurance company: Insurance adjusters often try to minimize payouts. Your attorney negotiates confidently on your behalf, advocating for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Protect your rights: Insurance companies may attempt tactics to weaken your claim. Your attorney will protect your rights and ensure the process is fair, preventing any unethical practices.
Avoiding Communication Risks:
- Never speak directly with insurance adjusters: Their primary goal is to minimize payouts, and anything you say can be used against you. Communicate solely through your attorney, who can handle conversations strategically.
- Taking on an insurance company is a complex process.
- An experienced personal injury attorney can be your advocate, protecting your rights and maximizing your chance of obtaining fair compensation.
- By working together, we can take on the legal system and secure the resources you need to rebuild your life after a spinal cord injury.
What to Do After a Spinal Cord Injury Accident in Ontario
If you have experienced a spinal injury accident in Ontario, the first step (aside from taking care of yourself) is to seek legal representation from a reputable law firm such as Banderas Law.
Furthermore, it’s important to document all medical records and expenses related to the injury, as this will be crucial in determining the compensation you may be entitled to. This includes medical expenses, future medical costs, rehabilitative service costs, and any lost wages due to the injury. In addition, non-economic damages such as pain and suffering may also be covered through a settlement offer or verdict.
By seeking the appropriate legal representation and meticulously documenting all expenses and losses, you can maximize your potential compensation in the aftermath of a spinal cord injury accident in Ontario, CA.
Consult an Ontario Spinal Cord Injury Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident in Ontario, CA, Banderas Law is here to help you with your spinal cord injury case. Get your free consultation with our experienced team, where you can discuss your case and learn about your legal rights and options.
Our dedicated lawyers at Banderas Law are committed to advocating for the compensation you deserve to cover medical expenses, lost income, ongoing care, and more.
When you’re ready to take the next steps in pursuing your spinal cord injury case, let us fight for the justice and compensation you deserve. We promise you that we don’t get paid unless you do. Call us now at (909) 707-0000.
Our Ontario Location
Banderas Law, PC
3401 N Centre Lake Dr #470
Ontario, CA 91761
Tel: (909) 707-0000