If you believe you may have a wrongful death case against a hospital or doctor, it’s important to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in medical malpractice and wrongful death cases. Here are some steps you can take to determine if you have a potential case:
- Gather relevant information: Compile all relevant documents and information related to the situation, including medical records, death certificates, autopsy reports, and any other evidence that may support your claim. This information will be necessary for the attorney to evaluate the case.
- Research and identify attorneys: Look for attorneys specializing in medical malpractice and wrongful death cases. You can start by seeking referrals from friends, family, or other trusted sources. Online directories or legal referral services can also help you find attorneys in your area with relevant expertise.
- Schedule initial consultations: Contact the attorneys you have identified and schedule initial consultations. Many attorneys offer free or low-cost initial consultations to discuss the details of your case and assess its viability. During the consultation, be prepared to provide a clear overview of the circumstances surrounding the death and any evidence you have gathered.
- Assess the viability of the case: The attorney will evaluate the information you provide, review relevant documents, and consider applicable laws to determine if you have a potential wrongful death case. They will consider factors such as negligence, standard of care, causation, and damages.
- Discuss legal options and potential outcomes: If the attorney believes you have a viable case, they will explain the legal process, potential outcomes, and the steps involved in pursuing a wrongful death claim. They can also provide guidance on the potential damages you may be entitled to seek.